For most states, you may need to get a State Tax ID in addition to your Federal EIN.

Your Federal Tax Identification Number or “EIN” is the unique number the IRS assigns to your business. An EIN may also be referred to as a Federal Tax Identification Number, Tax ID, or Federal Tax ID.

In addition to your Federal Tax ID, your new corporation will be assigned a Charter Number (sometimes called Registration Number) and a State Tax ID Number (sometimes called a State Employer ID or Taxpayer Number) which is different from the Federal EIN.